· The primary purpose of vocational training is tp prepare individuals especially the youth in the age group of 15-25 years for the world of work and make them employable for a broad group of occupation. The main vocational training schemes comprises of Craftsman Training, Apprenticeship training, Training for Skilled workers, Crafts instructions, Supervisors etc.
· Craftsmen Training Scheme through in ITIs and Apprenticeship Training Scheme (mainly in industrial setting) are the two major schemes. Those who successfully complete CTS are generally perceived to be semi-skilled and ATS is expected to produce skilled workers. In ATS, there is a scheme for rebate in case relevant ITI training has been successfully completed.
· Development of training programmes at the national level, particularly in the area concerning common policies, common standards and procedures.
· Training of instructors.
· Trade testing and certification.
· Vocational training in some of the specialized areas, including training of women through the field institutes under its direct control.
· Research in vocational training and development of instructional material.
· Implementation of Apprentices Act, 1961 in respect of trade apprentices in the Central Govt. Establishments.